Keratex Hoof Hardener 250ml
Strengthens, hardens and protects hooves and soles, and manages moisture
- Keratex Hoof Hardener strengthens weak, worn and cracked hooves by improving the molecular structure of the horn itself. Equally effective in wet and dry conditions.
- Prevents the horn from taking in excess moisture, making it resistant to softening and weakening in wet conditions. This results in a reduction in shoe loss and abscesses.
- Keratex Hoof Hardener is not an oil or resin layer and does not seal the hoof. Hoof Hardener will ensure the treated hoof is able to breathe naturally.
- Moisture balance is properly maintained.
- Should also be applied to the sole of the hoof to prevent bruising.
Keratex Hoof Hardener is a gentle acting chemical formulation which forms additional intermolecular bonds between molecules of keratin through the process of cross-linking. Keratin is the main protein constituent of horn and is best described as the building block of the horn structure.
The cross-linking process results in additional atoms being distributed between the Keratin molecules to produce a tougher and stronger horn structure.
Since Hoof Hardener is neither a varnish or resin layer, it leaves no visible coating. Therefore the treated hoof is able to breathe and function naturally.
Water and ammonia damage the structure of the keratin molecule and how they interact with each other. This is, and always will be, a major problem for horse owners.
The horn which forms the visible part of the hoof capsule is dead. It has no blood supply and therefore cannot be regenerated or improved by feed supplements or ordinary inactive conditioners. High quality feed supplements will improve the quality of new horn being produced at the coronary band and will improve the rate of growth. Unfortunately, no supplement will influence the quality of existing horn. If it is cracked, it must grow out. It cannot mend itself.
However, with the active formulation of Keratex Hoof Hardener, the quality of existing horn can be improved chemically within just a few days. Obviously, cracks will not disappear, but the horn around them will be strengthened to resist further movement so they can grow out. Once treated, the horn will also be better able to support nails so shoes stay on better.
Keratex Hoof Hardener contains a plasticiser to stop the horn from becoming brittle, and it also contains a power disinfectant to assist in maintaining general hoof health.
Apply to lower half of hoof and sole, avoiding coronary band and frog.
Use daily for one week then twice daily for general hoof maintenance.
If the hoof has been treated with any oils or greases over the past three months, degrease the hoof thoroughly with acetone before applying Keratex Hoof Hardener. Do not use any oils or greases while using Hoof Hardener.